It is currently unknown how the Landsee Ruins came to be, but they were officially mentioned in the Traditionsbuch (“Book of traditions”) of Göttweig Monastery in 1158. Children and their parents can still make out the imposing fortifications in today’s ruins. Landsee Castle fell to Hungary in 1222, but would soon change hands again. The story of Gertrud von Weißpriach who ruled the Castle in the 16th century and who was infamous for her cruelty, is particularly popular among children. Helped by robber Franz Magusch, they mainly ambushed merchants on their way through Burgenland. Fortified Landsee Castle had become a dreaded nest of marauding knights.
In 1612 the Landsee Ruins fell to the Esterhazy family who saw to the completion of the castle in 1666. A large fire in 1772 caused the Castle’s gradual dereliction.
Today, families access the Castle’s keep called “Don Jon” via the large, preserved entrance gate, bridges and arcades. Its viewing platform offers children and their parents amazing 360-degree views of Central Burgenland and even the Bucklige Welt region.
Open to visitors from April to Otcober!
Guided tours by appointment
Dates: April to October or by prior reservation
Duration: 1 h
Participants: at least 10
Costs: € 5.50 per person; group discounts available
Meeting point: Landsee Castle Ruins parking lot
For appointments: Ms Elisabeth Schütz = 0664/798 13 16
Landseer Berge Nature Park office = 02618/52 118