Scroll to the main content
dataCycle Detailseite

catholic church "Zur Kreuzerhöhung"

Mörbisch am See

partly cloudy

-4° / 2°

6 %
Wind speed
10 km/h
  • Saturdaylight snow

    -1° / 2°

  • Sundaymainly cloudy

    -1° / 6°

  • Mondaycloudy

    0° / 7°

Catholic parish church Mörbisch am See
The Roman Catholic parish church of Mörbisch am See is located in the municipality of Mörbisch am See in the Eisenstadt-Umgebung district in Burgenland. The parish church Raising the Cross belongs to the dean's office Eisenstadt-Rust in the diocese of Eisenstadt. The church is a listed building.
The first church, which was consecrated to St. Catherine, was mentioned in a document in 1331, and was a branch church of the parish church Kroisbach in Fertőrákos. The parish was mentioned in a document in 1434. In 1485 a new church was built, which was dedicated to St. Ulrich, and where the stone tower is still preserved today. During the Reformation, the parish became Protestant and was rebuilt as a Catholic in 1851. [1] From the Gothic church, the steeple up to the gable crown has been preserved. The gable wreath and spire is from the 19th century. The tower cross bears the dates 1642 and 1783. An extension was added to the east of the old nave between 1961 and 1962 according to the plans of the architect Ladislaus Hruska.
The old nave has a classicistic facade with a flat gable, with renovation inscription over the portal with the year 1834. The old nave area has a vaulted ceiling. The modern extension part has the chancel with a straight end and a coffered ceiling.
The altarpiece Exaltation of the Cross and Holy Trinity from 1834 is by Josef Molitor. The late Gothic font with a ten-sided foot and basin is made of red marble. A bell from 1792 was cast by Johann Georg Koechel in Ödenburg.
Redesign of the chancel
In this regard, a competition was announced in 2013, which was won by the Burgenland artist Heinz Ebner (* 1963 in Güssing). [2] In 2015 the redesign was realized and consecrated on the 4th Sunday of Advent by Diocesan Bishop Egidius Zsifkovics. The altar, baptismal font and ambo are made of beige Danube limestone and were made by master stonemason Kurt Schwarz. [3] The circular disc on the altar wall is made of fusing glass, partly painted and has a diameter of approx. 4 m.

Catholic parish church Mörbisch am See
7072 Mörbisch am See, Hauptstrasse 29

Discover Burgenland on Social Media