Through an EU project, a historical jewel in the middle of the city centre is once again open to the public: the Cathedral Bastion, commonly known as the "Pulverturm" (powder tower) and the neighbouring "Pongratzhaus" were revitalised in the course of the project "Preservation of the medieval historic city wall and architectural ensembles".
The cathedral bastion was erected in 1534 as one of four fortifications to reinforce the 14th century city wall as a result of two Turkish wars, which were not too damaging to Eisenstadt. This provided additional protection, especially for the bends in the walls that were endangered in the event of an attack. The cathedral bastion is the last remaining of these buildings, next to the powder tower in the northeast (near the "Schlosspark").
For many decades the bastion in Rochusstraße was a sleeping beauty. Wild growth and rubbish deposits characterise the picture. After completion of the renovation, the "Pulverturm" was made accessible to the public and can be used for various events.